We are living in the smart home era where most people are thinking of making their home smarter with intelligent home devices. Even though the idea of creating an integrated living space is still in its fancy, major companies have embraced this concept wholeheartedly.
Big companies such as Google, Apple, Amazon, and Phillips have been introducing innovative home products consistently. With smart home devices, you can control everything including the lights and bulbs, thermostats, security and surveillance cameras, and door hardware smoothly.
So, in this article, we are going to talk about the four most important smart home devices. We are going to make you understand how these devices can make your life easy and comfortable. So, let’s have a peek at the article and make your home smarter than ever!
What Is A Smart Home?
Before talking about the intelligent home devices, we want to familiarize you with the basics of a smart home. So, what is a Smart Home? How do you control everything in your home?
Well! The technology behind the ‘Smart Home’ concept is a tad complicated. However, if we simply explain the idea, then a ‘Smart Home’ is just like another traditional home where almost every element is connected to the internet.
Below is a list of the devices that are smart home compatible.
Now, if you connect these devices to the smart home hub, you can effortlessly control them from a far distance using a smartphone or a computer. Many critics and experts have said – these devices would not make your life easier! But in truth, they are definitely advantageous. They would bring exceptional benefits to your day-to-day life.
Things to Consider Before Installing Smart Home Systems
At this moment, we want you to understand the facts that you should consider before installing smart home systems. Understanding these facts will enable you to choose carefully. In that case, finding answers to the below questions would help you in making an objective decision.
- Are you living in a rented home? If the answer is NO, then do you own your house?
- Do you need remote mobile access? If YES, then what are the available options?
- Is Surveillance Camera a necessary component of your home?
- Do you plan to move in another house anytime soon?
- Do you want more than an anti-burglar system?
- Do you want to install home systems from a reputed brand?
Now, if you ask yourself these questions, they will guide you through to the whole process of buying and installing a smart home system. In fact, you will get everything at your hand precisely. Most of the home systems come with added features that many homeowners don’t wish to have at their disposal.
So, finding answers to these questions would help you avoid this situation. Not to mention, you can save a lot of money and hassle if you act like a smart shopper.
4 Best Smart Home Devices
1.Security and Surveillance Camera Systems
Like everyone else, you really want to keep your loved ones and family safe, especially, when you are not at home. In that case, you can reinforce your home’s security system with security cameras.
Also known as surveillance cameras, this device allows you to view everything including the inside or outside the area of your house. What’s more, if you integrate video into your security cameras, you can even watch all the things that are happening outside from computer or television.
Now, if you are pumped up to set up a surveillance system, you have to consider a few things such as –
- Do you have a power source that is close to your surveillance camera?
- Would a battery operated camera suffice your need?
- Considering these things would help you understand what type of surveillance cameras you need. However, if you are still confused about to what to choose, you should look at the following features –
- A good security camera will provide you with low-light viewing. It means the lower the home security camera’s lux rating, the better you will be able to see in the dark or night.
- The wiring model of the camera has an influencing aspect over the performance of the camera. Some cameras can quickly deliver powerful video and image illustration with a single Ethernet wire.
- A surveillance camera without flexibility wouldn’t be much useful and if your house has a bigger area, you should go for a camera that is panned and tilted. You should select a camera that can offer a greater level of Zoom-in or zoom-out capacity.
- Since you are trying to watch everything inside and out, you must be interested in recording everything. For this reason, a security camera with a digital video recorder would be suitable.
- For the same reason above, it would be better to buy a camera with web access or IP cameras. At some point, you would want to see everything including front door or the yard from your computer or smartphone. So, security cameras with web access would allow doing just that.
- Last but not the least, a surveillance camera with waterproof technology would permit you to monitor everything at ease. You don’t have to worry if your camera is exposed to rain or watery element. Therefore, you should choose a camera with a waterproof rating of 65.
Although there are lots of cheap security cameras available in the market, you should not use them because of their pricing. When buying a camera, you should look for the features mentioned above to ensure you are getting the best product for your home. Check out The Best Home Security Cameras for more.
Apart from the features, surveillance cameras provide many benefits. They will help you to deter crime. They will offer you an added layer of security to make sure you remain at peace. Besides, a security camera can assist you in preventing theft and illegal activities.
A thermostat is a device that switches the heating system on and off automatically. This device works with a sensor that senses the air temperature. When the air temperature falls below the parameter of the device, the sensor will automatically switch to the heating system. On the other hand, when the air temperature rises again, the sensor will switch off the entire system.
Now, you may think that if I apply a higher setting, the thermostat might heat up the room faster. But, ideally, a thermostat’s power to heat up a room quickly depends on the design and the size of the boiler and radiators. Moreover, different types of thermostats such as wireless thermostat offer more heating control. In that case, you need to figure out which type of device you would need for your home.
A thermostat is a part of smart home device systems, and it comes with the below features:
- A thermostat with an adjustable cycle would allow you to prevent frequent heating and cooling problems.
- Some thermostats come with an auto changeover switch. It means when the days are warm, the device will make the room cool, but if the nights become cooler, it will make the room warm.
- Most thermostats have intuitive controls that will allow you to stop making energy-wasting mistakes. For instance – a ‘Hold’ prompt will remind you of overriding the energy-saving mode for extra comfort.
- A feature like the filter-change reminder will remind you of the proper time to change the furnace or AC filter.
- A thermostat with a full memory save feature will save your preferred settings. These settings will work when there is a power outage.
If you have a hectic schedule but want to control your home’s temperature remotely, a thermostat will do wonder for you. For example – if you buy a Honeywell wireless thermostat, it will provide you with a focused and programmable heating and cooling system. Not to mention, a thermostat won’t save your money directly. Rather you would be able to heat your home efficiently.
3. Door Hardware and Locks
When it comes to ensuring your home’s security, door hardware and locks are one of the prime smart home devices. Now, it might come as a surprise to if we tell you that most homeowners spend hundreds of money for buying the right door hardware and locks.
If you choose particular a door lock or hardware, it must match with your interior or exterior design and setting of the door. In that case, you have to be extra careful before choosing a door hardware or lock. Below is a list of the door hardware and locks that we have assembled for you. If you give a close look at the list, you will understand that there are a variety door hardware and locks that can fit your door smoothly.
- Doorknobs or Levers
- Door hinges
- Spring Door Stops
- Bi-fold pulls
- Stair brackets
- Closet rods
- Cabinet knobs
- Pocket Door Hardware
- Door Kickplates
- Bathroom Accessories
- Address Plaques
- House Numbers and Letters
When you are buying door hardware and locks for your house, you should try to ensure the following features:
- Nowadays, most of the door hardware and locks come with pick-proof features that will enable you to prevent break-ins. There will be no hole or place for keys, which will make sure no one can easily break-in with a master key.
- Some door hardware and locks come with a control mechanism that will permit you to control the access to your house or company building. What you need to do is enter your desired PIN code and restrict who can have access to your PIN code. You can even have 8,000 possible code combinations to make your door super secured.
Quite simply, if you add a door hardware or lock to your door, it would make your home more secure than ever.
4. Light Bulbs
Wireless led lights, color changing lights, light bulbs plus
The last smart home device on our list is the light bulbs. They are one of an essential component of every house. What’s more, you can choose from different types of light bulbs like LED, halogen, CFL, and incandescent bulbs.
Each type has various quality, bases, and shapes that will fit your needs accordingly. Not to mention, you will see color changing lights. These lights will make your home aesthetically pleasing with vibrant color and lighting.
The incandescent light bulb is the oldest types of bulbs. These electric bulbs work by incandescence. Incandescence is the emission of light that comes from heating the filament. Additionally, these lights have a variety of sizes, voltages, and wattages, which makes them a great lighting option for your home.
CFL (compact fluorescent lights) lights were the second generation lights which were the heir to the incandescent lighting. They are considered as energy-efficient bulbs as they only use either one-fifth or one-third of the energy of incandescent bulbs.
Light-emitting diodes or better known as LED lights are the newest sensations among the lighting bulbs. The mechanism behind LED lights is – you switch on the light, and the electron and electron holes will come together. As a result, there will be a release of energy, which is known as photons or lights.
Besides, if you go for wireless LED lights, you will have some extra features such as you can quickly put the light in any place. You can even use the light to decorate your home as well.
Halogens are just another type of incandescent bulbs. But, they are made of a little halogen gas. This gas remains trapped inside the bulbs, and it allows the bulbs to recycling the tungsten gas. Note that the tungsten gas is burned while the light is on and the halogen gas will put it back onto the filament. This process makes the halogen bulbs more efficient lighting system
The Benefits of Having Intelligent Smart Home Devices
If you have come this far, then you might have understood what smart home devices can do for you. But still, we feel the urge to enlighten you about the most beneficial aspects of these devices. So, here are the benefits of having intelligent home systems:
- Smart home devices will increase your peace of mind because they will make your life much easier.
- You can save money if you opt for these devices as the lights and appliances will be shut off automatically.
- You will have a greater control over everything including lights, fans, door locks, etc.
- These devices can save both your money and time with functionality and features.
- You can make your home secure and safe by adding different security systems.
Bottom Line: Would You Make Your Home Smart?
Setting up a smart home with intelligent devices is not an easy thing. The work involved in the entire process may be simple like just installing a lamp to turn on and off at a whisker. But, there are some complex activities, for example – choosing and installing surveillance cameras at your home.
In truth, each of the intelligent home devices would bring interesting possibilities while at the same time, these devices will make your life more comfortable and secure. So, would you buy them to make your home smarter than your neighbors? Don’t wait and don’t settle for less! Use our information and resources to ensure your catching up with the latest technological advancement in the world!